How to use Sandbox.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

G_A

G_A

Gratz Whore?

• Regular
  • 5,842 posts
This tutorial will teach you how to set up sandbox for proper use. First of all you need to make a folder somewhere on your pc with all the files from the “maps” folder on your halo 3 disc. If you plan on editing DLC maps stick them in this folder as well.

Your set up should look like this:

Once that is done open Sandbox and navigate to “Tools” then settings set the “Map Folder” property to the folder u have all your maps in.

Opening a Usermap

Start by extracting the Usermap you want to edit off your Xbox 360 HDD or Memory Card. Usermaps are stored in the folder Partition 3\\”Your Profile ID Here\\4D5307E6\\00000001\\ and always start with the string “Usermap00000000” followed by 8 random numbers.

After you have the Usermap that you would like to edit open it up in a hex editor. It doesn’t matter which one you use because they all generally work the same way.
Once you have the Usermap opened use your hex editors “Go To” function and go to offset 0xD000. If you see the string “_blf” you have found the beginning of the Usermap and are in the right spot.

If you do not see that string go to offset 0xE000, you should now see “_blf”. Next make sure the cursor is at the begging of that string and use your hex editors select block function to select a block 0xF000 in length.

Copy this block then open a new hex document and paste it in.

Now save this document as a new file with the file extension “.map”.

If all these steps we followed correctly you should now be able to open your newly extracted Usermap in Sandbox.

Editing the Usermap

Lets walk through making a simple change, like making Master Chief spawn instead in place of another object. First off find the object you would like to swap, by navigating through all the spawns using the big up and down arrow buttons. Once you have found a object to swap go to "Edit" then select "Edit Slots Index Entry". A property editor should pop up and display the index information for this slot.

Next click on the "Ident" property and hit the little button on the side to open the Ident swapper.

Change the tag class to "bipd" and the name to "objects\characters\masterchief\mp_masterchief\mp_masterchief".

Hit swap and the Ident swapper will close and set new tag in the Ident property.

Now hit "OK" on the property editor to verify the changes and update the slot with the new information.

Almost done.. Just go to file then hit save changes to write the changes back to the Usermap file.

This was just a simple edit, Sandbox is capable of alot more advanced modifications. Play around with it and see what you can create .

Injecting back into Container

Remember how you extracted the Usermap? of course you do
Open up both the Usermap con file and the extracted Usermap that you edited in a hex editor.
In the container file locate the string "_blf" like you did when extracting, and select a block with the size 0xF000.

Flip over to the edited Usermap and select every byte in the file and copy them, then go back to the container and paste the bytes over the selected block.

Done! Just hit save in your Hex editor and move on to the next step.

Edited by Godlike Assassin, 28 August 2008 - 05:51 AM.

Hail to the king, baby!

Posted Image

Phil

Phil

Life's a trip

• Administrator
  • 8,583 posts
You might want to fix those weird characters. :X
Posted Image
"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy.' They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life." -John Lennon

Ra

Ra

Lt. Colonel Grade 1

• Members
  • 1,516 posts
Does this still work?
I mean after NXE?
Posted Image

G_A

G_A

Gratz Whore?

• Regular
  • 5,842 posts
The NXE changed nothing, modding wise.
All it did was ban a few public Keyvaults.

Use the app CONcept. That will resign any con file useable as long as you are connected to the Internet at the time of resigning.

Hail to the king, baby!

Posted Image

Ra

Ra

Lt. Colonel Grade 1

• Members
  • 1,516 posts
TY
I am going to start Halo 3 modding now then :-)
Posted Image

Dubious Sniper

Dubious Sniper

Title

• Regular
  • 4,401 posts

TY
I am going to start Halo 3 modding now then :-)

WE here will be happy to help all the way.

Mr.J

Mr.J

Major

• Members
  • 626 posts
I don't Get it lol

maybe some pictures :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB skins by Skinbox