How To Skin HaloPC by Pepsi - Updated For 2010

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Mr.Sanity

Mr.Sanity

Corporal

• Members
  • 14 posts
Ryx, I'm having trouble with the internalizing. I did what you said. I expanded putput.map, went to the Data Internalize then I checked the boxes and clicked rebuild map. I think the bitmaps were already in through HMT but I don't know how to inject bitmaps in Eschaton, so I'm guessing that's where I messed up. Can you explain it again please?

can't code

can't code

yOU'RE NOT GONNA GET iN MY PANTS iF YOU DON'T LOVE jESUS

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Ryx, I'm having trouble with the internalizing. I did what you said. I expanded putput.map, went to the Data Internalize then I checked the boxes and clicked rebuild map. I think the bitmaps were already in through HMT but I don't know how to inject bitmaps in Eschaton, so I'm guessing that's where I messed up. Can you explain it again please?

Don't inject bitmaps with eschaton, it adds a fuzzy cloud around them. Sounds like you did it right.

If you injected the bitmaps with anything internalizing them will add them to the map, what it does is add the bitmaps to the end of the map file instead of bitmaps.map
Posted Image

Mr.Sanity

Mr.Sanity

Corporal

• Members
  • 14 posts
Alright then, I'll continue to use the EOF trick with HMT. Thanks.

can't code

can't code

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Alright then, I'll continue to use the EOF trick with HMT. Thanks.

Naw you can inject them with hmt then just internalize them with esch at the end, you don't need to EOF unless you're releasing a mappack.
Posted Image

Mr.Sanity

Mr.Sanity

Corporal

• Members
  • 14 posts
Wait, so just get a copy of a bitmaps.map and some other map and inject the skins. Then just open Eschaton > Expand map > Data Internalize > Check the 2 boxes > Internalize? Then I wont have to put it into my original bitmaps.map?

v3nture

v3nture

Lt. Colonel Grade 2

• Regular
  • 2,185 posts
yep
Posted Image
If its hostile, you kill it.

Mr.Sanity

Mr.Sanity

Corporal

• Members
  • 14 posts
Kk Thank you. That's all for now :D

Mr.Sanity

Mr.Sanity

Corporal

• Members
  • 14 posts
Errrm, I'm not doing so well with internalizing. I put the bitmaps in through HMT, then I internalized with Eschaton. When I put the new rebuilt map into my MAPS folder with a new bitmaps.map the Chiron map is just black (Black = only the skins that I editted). The lights are still there and that's basically it lol, everything else is black.

can't code

can't code

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Errrm, I'm not doing so well with internalizing. I put the bitmaps in through HMT, then I internalized with Eschaton. When I put the new rebuilt map into my MAPS folder with a new bitmaps.map the Chiron map is just black (Black = only the skins that I editted). The lights are still there and that's basically it lol, everything else is black.

You don't need a bitmaps.map if you internalized correctly. Are you running all the tools as admin?
Posted Image

Mr.Sanity

Mr.Sanity

Corporal

• Members
  • 14 posts
Yeah, pretty sure I ran HMT and Eschaton as admin. I guess I'll try it again just incase.

WaeV

WaeV

Firecracker

• Regular
  • 1,657 posts

You don't need a bitmaps.map if you internalized correctly.

Wouldn't that only be the case if you internalized ALL the bitmaps? You should only need to import the ones that changed, and continue to rely on bitmaps.map otherwise. Otherwise you'll balloon your map's filesize.
Posted Image
____ Flashlight Trigger: [Link] ___ Projectile Spawner: [Link]

can't code

can't code

• Members
  • 1,120 posts
I was under the impression eschaton only get the option to internalize all bitmaps. Anyways, chances are you'll need most of them, seeing as it's an texmod. EOF doesn't internalize, so idk how you're only internalizing a few. I though internalizing put them at the end and because of references/shit like that you needed them all in the same file because it finds the next by offsets.
Posted Image

WaeV

WaeV

Firecracker

• Regular
  • 1,657 posts
In Eschaton under the "Data Internalize" tab, you can check the "Bitmaps" box to interalize EVERYTHING, or you can expand the list and pick individual things.

I don't remember what EOF does, I never really did enough skinning to use it.

Edited by WaeV, 21 April 2012 - 02:16 AM.

Posted Image

Vuthakral Darastrix

Vuthakral Darastrix

Do not question me.

• Members
  • 23 posts
Yeah, I've been wondering what the "EOF" Stands for/does also... Does anybody know?
How to tell when you have been playing too much Half Life 2; Whenever you see a "Carbine" tag you read it as "Combine".

I like effing with shield effects and bitmaps. They look too bland in Bungie's defaults; In my opinion.

WaeV

WaeV

Firecracker

• Regular
  • 1,657 posts
Here we go:

The bitmaps were originally stored in a central bitmaps.map resource map, where they were pulled from when a play map was loaded. The benefits of this are that bitmaps remain constant across maps, so editing a bitmap will apply the changes to every map that uses that bitmaps.map file.

The bad side of this is that it does that. In some cases when modding, you may want a bitmap to only appear on one map. Before Eschaton, the only way to do this was through an EOF using HMT. This copied the bitmap data, and placed it at the end of the bitmaps.map file. It then changed the reference to the new point inside the .map.

The plus side to this, is when a bitmap is stored at the end of the file, it can be larger then the original bitmap. Because the mapfile is based off of the bitmaps being at a specific part of the map, if you made a bigger bitmap it would have to overwrite whatever came after it.

So now instead of having to make them the same size, you can make a fully custom bitmap of any size, and not worry about it overwriting anything else, because it's already at the end of the file.

Now, if you did an EOF, then EOF'd another bitmap, then took the first one and injected a larger bitmap, it'd overwrite the second. It only works if it's the last bitmap inside the mapfile, so make sure to inject all your larger bitmaps before you EOF another one.

But EOF isn't always the best solution for sharing mods. For huge projects spanning multiple maps, it works well because the bitmaps.map can be included with it. However, for small maps and mods, it becomes a burden because the users must download the entire bitmaps.map file, which is over 300MB stock.

To solve this, Internalizing bitmaps became the new standard. Instead of placing them at the end of the bitmaps.map file, they were re-written inside the .mapfile itself. This is done in many CE maps with custom content, the bitmap information is simply written inside the map itself, and there's something that lets the engine know that the bitmap is stored internally as opposed to the stock external storage in the bitmaps.map

So the engine reads that "internal" 'flag', reads the pointer (offset) that lets it know where it's stored, and pulls the bitmap information from inside the map.

Now, internalizing all your bitmaps adds on a lot to the filesize of your map, so it's usually best to only internalize bitmaps you plan on editing, and leave the stock textures to be referenced externally.

Posted Image

Rusoski

Rusoski

Rusoski a sus ordenes!

• Members
  • 102 posts
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MYYYYYYYY CRAPPY FUCKING DUMB BITCH MOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT WAS SO FUCKING EASY TO MAKE BUMP MAPS LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I was a dumbass because what I did is that I... I won't tell it, because I was just westing weeks doing that ¬¬

Ty so much fot this tutorial <3

Yeah! We want to play it!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB skins by Skinbox