BREAKING NEWS: Bungie confirms next game is an MMO

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Wolf Demon

Wolf Demon

Oppressor

• Administrator
  • 10,099 posts

At a panel session at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco today, Bungie lead network engineer David Aldridge confirmed to attendees that the developer's next title is a "massively multiplayer action game."

Rumors about the game have bounced around the internet in recent weeks, with anonymous sources describing the new project as "WoW in space." At his talk, titled "I Shot You First: Networking the Gameplay of Halo: Reach," Aldridge specifically noted that the title is not "WoW in space." So there you have it.

The still-untitled game series will be published by Activision, and it's the first non-Halo project the studio has worked on since joining Microsoft to release Halo: Combat Evolved. This isn't the first time a Bungie rep has mentioned that the studio was interested in making a persistent online game. In answer to a fan's query about the upcoming project during a 2010 GDC session, Bungie's Joseph Staten responded by asking, "Wouldn't it be great if we could make a world that was always there for you?"

http://www.1up.com/n...ely-multiplayer

It will be Bungie's first game published by Activision. I wonder if Activision had a say in what Bungie should make next. I can see that happening since Bobby Kotick is a prick without shame.

UPDATE: The rumors were false and he was only playing off the rumors that there would be a Bungie MMO.
grav: my tea would make you so awesome you would get women pregnant just by looking at them

Phil

Phil

Life's a trip

• Administrator
  • 8,586 posts
Meh. I would have liked to have seen another FPS from Bungie, even if it wasn't Halo-related. Or at least not an MMO.
Posted Image
"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy.' They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life." -John Lennon

Wolf Demon

Wolf Demon

Oppressor

• Administrator
  • 10,099 posts
You posted before i could completely finish my topic. I posted as fast as I could and edited after because you fuckers always beat me to the punch with breaking stories
grav: my tea would make you so awesome you would get women pregnant just by looking at them

ReindeerYiffer

ReindeerYiffer

<3 WORKSPACES <3

• Regular
  • 5,583 posts
holy... wtf O_o

Posted Image

Kvasir

Kvasir

Spy

• Meta Chief
  • 5,818 posts
WAT.

IN FOR FPSMMORPG

/Idiocy

Posted Image

Wolf Demon

Wolf Demon

Oppressor

• Administrator
  • 10,099 posts

WAT.

IN FOR FPSMMORPG

PlanetSide

The Cereal Killer

The Cereal Killer

Scripts, ui_widgets, ai, animation.

• Members
  • 4,029 posts
MMORPG's make me queezy :(

The Red Skulls | Lumoria ep. 2

Spoiler

The Slayer

The Slayer

BILLY MAYS HERE FOR MIGHTY PUTTY!

• Regular
  • 2,907 posts
I've never played an MMO before, so I suppose the one made by Bungie would be a great way to start.
Blaaaaaaaaaaaarg.

Posted Image

im gonna lock cereal killer in the face

Sunstriker7

Sunstriker7

85 Levels of Pure Kickass

• Members
  • 5,319 posts
MMO's are epic. I'm glad to see this.

In for PC too

{X}PrfctDrk |°ODD°Madness: dude I hate when there's a fat bitch working and shes only there because Jared got thin, not realizing its much easier for men to lose weight then women, and the lazy bitch didnt get back to the microwave fast enough so she burned my bread to a crisp, but since I hate pissing people off I just said thats fine sigh I shoulda thrown that shit back in her fat mouthbreathing face and said what the shit is this slop go cook me a sammich bitch

[10:29] Tucker933: im gay

Skeezix the Cat

Skeezix the Cat

jealous virgin

• Regular
  • 2,779 posts
An MMO? Damn. I was looking forward to actually playing it...

Posted Image

G_A

G_A

Gratz Whore?

• Regular
  • 5,842 posts
Bungie had already worked on an MMO in the past, and screenshots were leaked somewhat around the time it was cancelled.

I'd be extremely curious to if this has any tie-in with the Blizzard team though, who are also working on a futuristic MMO under the codename "Titan".

http://www.gamasutra...php?story=20153

Hail to the king, baby!

Posted Image

Marine1

Marine1

Colonel Grade 1

• Regular
  • 5,511 posts
Kotick is in charge of this?

Bungie is dead.
Posted Image

OS X: When compromise is renamed intuitiveness.

The reason there are no Linux antivirus programs is because stealing the credit card number of a man who lives in his mother's basement yields a horrible return on investment.

Storm adjutan7

Storm adjutan7

Made of pure Obsidian

• Members
  • 214 posts
Bungie should have went with EA instead, they could've made a good FPS game without a name "HALO" in the front of the case.

Posted Image

SUPER BABY ALIEN MONSTER ANIME CHICK WITH FRIES

RandomHero

RandomHero

That One Guy

• Regular
  • 3,580 posts
This is old. Screwattack broke this 2 weeks ago when it was 'Project: Destiny'.

Mubox

Mubox

Wort

• Members
  • 447 posts
I like scifi MMO's, this should be interesting.
Posted Image
Protobox47, a showcase of my mods and WIPs.

Wolf Demon

Wolf Demon

Oppressor

• Administrator
  • 10,099 posts

This is old. Screwattack broke this 2 weeks ago when it was 'Project: Destiny'.

It wasn't confirmed though. Who cares about bogus rumors.

Marine1

Marine1

Colonel Grade 1

• Regular
  • 5,511 posts

Bungie should have went with EA instead, they could've made a good FPS game without a name "HALO" in the front of the case.

EA is a... well, they're better than they used to be, and far better than Activision, but I still wouldn't trust them.
Posted Image

OS X: When compromise is renamed intuitiveness.

The reason there are no Linux antivirus programs is because stealing the credit card number of a man who lives in his mother's basement yields a horrible return on investment.

Kvasir

Kvasir

Spy

• Meta Chief
  • 5,818 posts

The Slide Heard Round the World

Tired of pretending that he’s not a -blam!-in’ rock star from Mars, David Aldridge inhaled a huge hit of David Aldridge at GDC yesterday. Subsequently, his face melted off and children wept over his exploded body. After the childish tears, gelatinous gibs, and acrid smoke cleared, an industrious journalist noticed the final slide from David’s GDC deck which apparently proclaimed that we were hiring for a "massively…multiplayer action game." Ruh oh.

Now, in rehearsal Aldridge was convinced that everybody got the joke. It was all in the delivery, he assured us, and he was certain it was clear that he was playfully riffing off of the recent rumors. Unfortunately, most people can’t figure David out – they can’t process him. And we don’t expect them to. You can’t process David Aldridge with a normal brain. You’d need tiger blood and Adonis DNA.

Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2011 5:42 PM
To: Pete Parsons; Eric Osborne
Subject: Fwd: "GDC: Bungie's Next Game Is An MMO"

FYI. The tape will exonerate me, but I'm sorry anyway. :(

Apology accepted, David. See you when you get back from rehab. Hopefully we’ll have your full presentation, along with everyone else’s ready for the publications page. No promises.

/Idiocy

Posted Image

MarsMartianMan

MarsMartianMan

Habe Quiddam

• Regular
  • 2,838 posts
Oh, so it was a joke.

Perhaps, you are doing what you were meant to do.

Your human mentality screams for vengeance and thrives on the violence that you say you can hardly endure.

Your father told you as a child to always fight with honor, but to always fight.

Do you care about honor, or do you use honor as an excuse?

An excuse to exist in a violent world.

ReindeerYiffer

ReindeerYiffer

<3 WORKSPACES <3

• Regular
  • 5,583 posts

The Slide Heard Round the World

Tired of pretending that he’s not a -blam!-in’ rock star from Mars, David Aldridge inhaled a huge hit of David Aldridge at GDC yesterday. Subsequently, his face melted off and children wept over his exploded body. After the childish tears, gelatinous gibs, and acrid smoke cleared, an industrious journalist noticed the final slide from David’s GDC deck which apparently proclaimed that we were hiring for a "massively…multiplayer action game." Ruh oh.

Now, in rehearsal Aldridge was convinced that everybody got the joke. It was all in the delivery, he assured us, and he was certain it was clear that he was playfully riffing off of the recent rumors. Unfortunately, most people can’t figure David out – they can’t process him. And we don’t expect them to. You can’t process David Aldridge with a normal brain. You’d need tiger blood and Adonis DNA.

Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2011 5:42 PM
To: Pete Parsons; Eric Osborne
Subject: Fwd: "GDC: Bungie's Next Game Is An MMO"

FYI. The tape will exonerate me, but I'm sorry anyway. :(

Apology accepted, David. See you when you get back from rehab. Hopefully we’ll have your full presentation, along with everyone else’s ready for the publications page. No promises.

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB skins by Skinbox