Photo

Aliens might kill us all because of global warming!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

bobblehob

bobblehob

Capitalist Pig

• Regular
  • 967 posts
Ah yes, it is always interesting to see what comes from our hallowed institutions of higher learning, but when shit like this is considered to be valid scientific research it almost makes me want to cry... A 33 page report published at Pennsylvania State University details the possible outcomes of Alien encounters with humanity, including those deemed to be Beneficial, Neutral, and Harmful (Holy shit, I never would have guessed o.o)

Besides this general stupidity, one particular part caught my eye...

Apparently the Aliens might just target our entire civilization and completely wipe us from the surface of the planet, because of supposed man made global warming.... I swear I am not making this shit up...

http://www.guardian....t-civilisations

The authors warn that extraterrestrials may be wary of civilisations that expand very rapidly, as these may be prone to destroy other life as they grow, just as humans have pushed species to extinction on Earth. In the most extreme scenario, aliens might choose to destroy humanity to protect other civilisations.

"A preemptive strike would be particularly likely in the early phases of our expansion because a civilisation may become increasingly difficult to destroy as it continues to expand. Humanity may just now be entering the period in which its rapid civilisational expansion could be detected by an ETI because our expansion is changing the composition of the Earth's atmosphere, via greenhouse gas emissions," the report states.

"Green" aliens might object to the environmental damage humans have caused on Earth and wipe us out to save the planet. "These scenarios give us reason to limit our growth and reduce our impact on global ecosystems. It would be particularly important for us to limit our emissions of greenhouse gases, since atmospheric composition can be observed from other planets," the authors write.

And if you really want to read more... I have a link to the study itself which unfortunately can be found in the Cornell University Library >.>

http://arxiv.org/abs/1104.4462
Posted Image

ABO

Shits and Giggles
Spoiler

MoDFoX

MoDFoX

Pro Mind Hacker

• Regular
  • 2,099 posts
I see nothing wrong with this.

Posted Image

The Cereal Killer

The Cereal Killer

Scripts, ui_widgets, ai, animation.

• Members
  • 4,029 posts
Exterminate.

The Red Skulls | Lumoria ep. 2

Spoiler

Sceny ツ

Sceny ツ

Modhalo's Worst Modder!

• Regular
  • 2,553 posts
Old.

Posted Image

varg

varg

the antagonator

• Moderators
  • 9,640 posts
humanity could get erased and i'd still give zero fucks about it

Posted Image

a furore infra, libera nos

forkspoonz

forkspoonz

Admiral Awkward

• Members
  • 1,970 posts
Sounds like someone just saw The Day the Earth Stood Still.
Posted Image

MarsMartianMan

MarsMartianMan

Habe Quiddam

• Regular
  • 2,838 posts

I see nothing wrong with this.

@bob: Are you so convinced that there is either no one else out there, or is it that you can't question your stance on man-made global warming?

Perhaps, you are doing what you were meant to do.

Your human mentality screams for vengeance and thrives on the violence that you say you can hardly endure.

Your father told you as a child to always fight with honor, but to always fight.

Do you care about honor, or do you use honor as an excuse?

An excuse to exist in a violent world.

bobblehob

bobblehob

Capitalist Pig

• Regular
  • 967 posts
Come on MMM, my main point is that tax money is going to fund studies like this, which is completely fucking ridiculous.

I believe that there are other forms of life, and I don't believe in man made global warming, but that isn't even the point xP
Posted Image

ABO

Shits and Giggles
Spoiler

varg

varg

the antagonator

• Moderators
  • 9,640 posts

Come on MMM, my main point is that tax money is going to fund studies like this, which is completely fucking ridiculous.

its not really a study, its a guy at nasa going "hey heres some arbitrary shit" and the media picking up on it because they've already reported on all the killings and suicide bombs and general twattery going on in the world already

Posted Image

PerfectDark

PerfectDark

Rival

• Honor Guards
  • 5,725 posts

Aliens might kill us all because of global warming!

somehow I think the aliens here on earth are already doing a mighty fine job of destroying us within
Posted Image

sandman is a fool tech takes skill and beans and lettuce and bunny rabit and sum cotten candyy and thats way more then grunge takes

ReindeerYiffer

ReindeerYiffer

<3 WORKSPACES <3

• Regular
  • 5,583 posts
http://www.pakalertp...tunnel-network/

>this thread

Posted Image

Skeezix the Cat

Skeezix the Cat

jealous virgin

• Regular
  • 2,778 posts

twattery

I think I have a new favorite word. OT: Read it like a week ago. I think they're getting desperate.

Posted Image

Dirk Gently

Dirk Gently

Colonel Grade 1

• Moderators
  • 5,969 posts
tbh, if I was a benevolent alien species and I saw some the stuff people do here, I would say "fuck saving them".

ReindeerYiffer

ReindeerYiffer

<3 WORKSPACES <3

• Regular
  • 5,583 posts

tbh, if I was a benevolent alien species and I saw some the stuff people do here, I would say "fuck saving them".

This.

Posted Image

forkspoonz

forkspoonz

Admiral Awkward

• Members
  • 1,970 posts
I would put a big bubble around the earth and wait until thy destroy themselves.
Posted Image

BlitzBurnz4

BlitzBurnz4

Major

• Members
  • 627 posts
Damn Mexicans, I always knew they were up to something.....

Jokes

Edited by BlitzBurnz4, 30 August 2011 - 07:03 PM.

Posted Image

Although the Gods try to weave our fates....

Spoiler

code1949

code1949

Chain Spawner

• Members
  • 11 posts

"Green" aliens might object to the environmental damage humans have caused on Earth and wipe us out to save the planet. "These scenarios give us reason to limit our growth and reduce our impact on global ecosystems. It would be particularly important for us to limit our emissions of greenhouse gases, since atmospheric composition can be observed from other planets," the authors write.

I'm pretty sure an all-out military campaign against humanity would produce even more environmental damage and industrial emissions. Just reading the crap in that article made me lose faith in humanity.

forkspoonz

forkspoonz

Admiral Awkward

• Members
  • 1,970 posts
wait, so you hadn't already lost faith?
Posted Image

varg

varg

the antagonator

• Moderators
  • 9,640 posts

I'm pretty sure an all-out military campaign against humanity would produce even more environmental damage and industrial emissions. Just reading the crap in that article made me lose faith in humanity.

use poisonous gases. the humans are dead

Posted Image

JK-47

JK-47

Prototape

• Members
  • 207 posts
If the aliens are for the environment, I'm pretty sure they'd see humanity as an attachment, no? I seriously doubt that if they're so sensitive to life on planets, they'd wipe out an entire race because of their actions on the environment. I'd think it'd be a bit more proactive for them to give us something so efficient with energy that we'd pretty much be forced to give up our addiction to oil. If they're so old and so advanced, I'd think they'd have a pretty secure government in which dictates what kind of actions to take, exterminating humanity wouldn't be one of them. The balance of life would probably be pretty important. I personally see no reason for us to be here, but we're here because nature felt we needed to be (or god, I'm not getting into religious debates). It'd be hard to ignore.

Now if we went to another planet and punched another race in the dick, took their planet, and harvested it dry of resources... Then maybe I could see action taking place. But as of our situation, meh. The only 'hostile' action I could see aliens taking place is pretty cliche, which would be them taking Earth so they could use it's resources. But it's hard to believe anything in the universe has the means to get to Earth anyways. I believe in life in the universe, but I don't believe we're visited or even known by alien life. So fuck yo couch.

Last thought: There's so many theories as to why the climate may or may not be changing. There's strong evidence that suggests that it's just a natural ordeal, and there's evidence claiming it's because of humanity, and there's a theory that it's a bit of both, but humanity is accelerating the process. Why don't we figure that out before we decide to look into aliens killing us over it?

Why is everyone so eager to die? All these doomsday theories suck.

Edited by JK-47, 01 October 2011 - 07:36 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB skins by Skinbox