Modding Halo CEA

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Sgt.Peppers

Sgt.Peppers

Recruit

• Members
  • 3 posts
I am not new to modding Halo, but I know very little about modding on the 360. I've wondered though, shouldn't this be possible? I would imagine the file structure to be identical to H1, yes? I've spent days trying to locate the .map files on my 360 HDD via Modio and other similar applications, with no luck. I understand that the original Halo .map files can be found on the 360's HDD (Partition 0), without any mods, opened in HMT/HHT, modded, then transferred back into the HDD and be fully playable (just like the good ole days). I figured if that is possible, then it should be the same for CEA, assuming one could locate it's .map files. Any input, advice, thoughts or ideas would be absolutely spectacular.

Krueger

Krueger

But I would not feel so all alone Everybody must get stoned

• Regular
  • 6,401 posts
The file structure will not be similar at all, this idea won't work.
Posted Image

Sgt.Peppers

Sgt.Peppers

Recruit

• Members
  • 3 posts
So, even if the maps could be extracted, modding would not be possible?

Edited by Sgt.Peppers, 20 November 2011 - 01:38 AM.

MarsMartianMan

MarsMartianMan

Habe Quiddam

• Regular
  • 2,838 posts

So, even if the maps could be extracted, modding would not be possible?

With research and a "blind charge", it's possible. I don't see a point, though.

Perhaps, you are doing what you were meant to do.

Your human mentality screams for vengeance and thrives on the violence that you say you can hardly endure.

Your father told you as a child to always fight with honor, but to always fight.

Do you care about honor, or do you use honor as an excuse?

An excuse to exist in a violent world.

Sgt.Peppers

Sgt.Peppers

Recruit

• Members
  • 3 posts
As opposed to a point in modding the other Halo games?

MarsMartianMan

MarsMartianMan

Habe Quiddam

• Regular
  • 2,838 posts
Halo CEA basically is Halo PC, so taking extra strains to mod an outdated engine (Just to get better graphics, which in itself would be an entirely different challenge) is pointless as long as Halo PC/CE exists.

Your human mentality screams for vengeance and thrives on the violence that you say you can hardly endure.

Your father told you as a child to always fight with honor, but to always fight.

Modzy

Modzy

Emergence

• Members
  • 630 posts
Map files are identical to Halo PC map files, apart from Endianness and the BSPs being stored in a different part of the file.
Posted Image

WaeV

WaeV

Firecracker

• Regular
  • 1,657 posts

Halo CEA basically is Halo PC, so taking extra strains to mod an outdated engine (Just to get better graphics, which in itself would be an entirely different challenge) is pointless as long as Halo PC/CE exists.

Why mod just to get better graphics?

I think it would be awesome to play some HPC mods on CEA.
Posted Image
____ Flashlight Trigger: [Link] ___ Projectile Spawner: [Link]

MarsMartianMan

MarsMartianMan

Habe Quiddam

• Regular
  • 2,838 posts

Why mod just to get better graphics?

I think it would be awesome to play some HPC mods on CEA.

Maybe it's just the old school kid in me talking, but I personally don't see a point to it.

lmt heretic

lmt heretic

Recruit

• Members
  • 1 posts
what ice king its true it would be awesome to see h3style campaign or cmt in HCEA

HaloExtreme117

HaloExtreme117

Recruit

• Members
  • 1 posts

what ice king its true it would be awesome to see h3style campaign or cmt in HCEA

noob

TacticalWirus

TacticalWirus

TacticalWirus

• Members
  • 487 posts

I am not new to modding Halo, but I know very little about modding on the 360. I've wondered though, shouldn't this be possible? I would imagine the file structure to be identical to H1, yes? I've spent days trying to locate the .map files on my 360 HDD via Modio and other similar applications, with no luck. I understand that the original Halo .map files can be found on the 360's HDD (Partition 0), without any mods, opened in HMT/HHT, modded, then transferred back into the HDD and be fully playable (just like the good ole days). I figured if that is possible, then it should be the same for CEA, assuming one could locate it's .map files. Any input, advice, thoughts or ideas would be absolutely spectacular.

Wrong.

You could't acomplish what you've stated above. Firstly be informed that the game engine isn't the same, nor simmilar, it has been created as developers of Halo CEA said. Or atleast severaly modiffied. Map files would also be different. Not by much, but totaly different, basicaly Halo CEA is something else but made to be, feel, look, sound and play the same as it's mother (Halo CE)

Forgot to say: sure you'd find same bsp's, models, textures, sounds and stuff, but that doesn't help you at all, and actualy they ,might also be different format if i can say so.

Though i'm not stating it wouldn't be plousible to make Halo CEA map, but for sure you couldn't import any of Halo PC's maps.
Posted Image
<missing string>

Modzy

Modzy

Emergence

• Members
  • 630 posts
Wrong and wrong. ^
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB skins by Skinbox